[Xymon] Xymon Newbie - Installation Issues

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Thu Aug 21 13:37:08 CEST 2014

On Thu, August 21, 2014 12:29 am, Sam Robert wrote:
> Hello All,
> I am a Linux and Xymon newbie to begin with so please go easy on me. Found
> Xymon in my search for a simple yet powerful network monitor and love what
> I have seen so far. However I cant seem to get it installed properly no
> matter what. So far I have tried all instances of Linux over at AWS and so
> far the best with the least amount of errors is Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> 7.0 - Even on that, the RRDTOOL-DEVEL is nowhere to be found and after
> spending half a day found the rpm at REPOFORGE and installed from there
> and the ./configure seemed happy with it. However no matter what I do, I
> could not find C-ARES-DEVEL to install and the RPM I found gave constant
> errors.

Hi there! Welcome to the club :)

On RHEL7, c-ares-devel, rrdtool-devel and selinux-policy-doc are all in
the rhel-7-server-optional-rpms channel; you may need to add that using
subscription-manager to install. If you're unable to add that channel into
the Red Hat entitlement, you should also be able to use the CentOS 7
versions in a pinch:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/Packages/

> Anyhow, my question is what to do with the C-ARES error or the ARES.H
> errors on configure. Let them be or how can I install them properly? Also
> after the installation how do I configure APACHE as on other distros I
> could never get the XYMON page to come up because of a different www
> folder and each distro has its own issues.

Hmm. If you're installing from the base release tarball, it should be
using c-ares 1.7.3 (which is locally included). What errors are you seeing
when compiling?

> Does anybody know of a complete guide or tutorial for newbies using which
> I can get Xymon to work? I have followed almost 8 to 10 different Xymon
> articles for different distros and could not get any to work because of
> the versions difference and other issues.

Indeed, there are a number of different ways of configuring xymon "out of
the box", which is great for using it as a monitoring toolkit, but can
make it confusing at times when just starting out.

If you'd like a more "FHS"-y layout which might help in just getting an
install going, there are RHEL7 RPMs at
http://terabithia.org/rpms/xymon/testing/el7/x86_64/ that may be useful.

HTH,

-jc