[Xymon] extend http timeout

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Fri Aug 8 19:30:23 CEST 2014

On 8/8/2014 9:09 AM, Kris Springer wrote:
> Where and how do I adjust the http timeout?  I have some content tests
> that take a while to respond and I need to extend the time to around 30

I think it was discussed here recently that this is a server-wide
setting. See the xymonnet help file and look for the --timeout option.

> Determines the timeout (in seconds) for each service that is tested. For TCP tests (those from XYMONNETSVCS), if the connection to the service does not succeed within N seconds, the service is reported as being down. For HTTP tests, this is the absolute limit for the entire request to the webserver (the time needed to connect to the server, plus the time it takes the server to respond to the request). Default: 10 seconds

<unsolicited observation>
In my environment, if someone asked to repeatedly test an HTTP resource
which regularly required 30 seconds to respond, I'd ask them to
reconsider. Xymon should be monitoring a simple, important resource. It
is going to be requesting it frequently (5-minute interval in my case).
If their server can't deliver a simple, important, frequently-requested
resource in less than 30-seconds they have problem.

If you _do_ extend the timeout, you should also examine the re-try
interval as part of XYMONNET-AGAIN.SH   It would be unfortunate if you
start thrashing your servers by setting your timeout longer than the
retry interval.
</unsolicited observation>

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov