[Xymon] External Powershell script not working

Michael Schultheiss schultmc at ivytech.edu
Thu Aug 7 15:18:01 CEST 2014

Lennon, Padraig wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I ran into this issue a few times before (hopefully this fix works for
> you..)
>
> You need to ensure that the output file is written in ASCII mode
> otherwise the Xymon cannot understand the format (to my limited
> knowledge..)
>
> Add "-Encoding ASCII" as shown here with your example
>
> $sAlarm,$datetime | Out-File -Encoding ASCII -FilePath "C:\Program Files
> (x86)\BBWin\tmp\exchqueues"

Thank you! Adding -Encoding ASCII made the added check show up on the
Xymon page.  We were baffled why older VBscript externals were working
yet the Powershell external was failing with similar output being
generated. Forcing ASCII output did the trick!

Michael Schultheiss, RHCSA, RHCE   OIT Administration
Sr. Unix Systems Engineer          Ivy Tech Community College
schultmc at ivytech.edu