[Xymon] Help: how to make testip default behavior?

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Sat Aug 2 04:36:31 CEST 2014

Hello,

We recently moved our DNS hosting infrastructure to DNS Made Easy. The price is great, the DNS resolution speed is amazing, and it has all the features one could hope for. Except one feature that happens to be a big bug in my opinion:

Any query that would normally return an NXDOMAIN instead returns 54.235.159.97 and they direct you to a webpage to tell you that the domain doesn't exist. This was not discovered in our testing. I'm extremely unsettled by this.

Turns out we have thousands of entries in hosts.cfg that don't resolve to real hostnames. This is mostly intentional; it's RFC1918 stuff on management VLANs. Unfortunately due to the lack of a "testip" entry Xymon is following this wildcard that is being injected by DNS Made Easy. I've started adding it in batches but this is very tedious. Can I tell xymon globally to behave as if "testip" was set everywhere?

Thanks