[Xymon] rrd crashing and graph gaps on 'trends' charts with 4.3.17

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Wed Apr 23 18:34:22 CEST 2014

I'm seeing gaps in some charts and not in others. The charts for
   vmstat
   tcp
   ifstat
show no gaps. All of the other charts show consistent gaps of several
hours, followed by a brief period of data, followed by more multi-hour
data gaps.

After appending --debug to the rrd_data line in tasks.cfg, tailing
rrd-data.log shows many messages of the form:
   "Peer not up, flushing message queue"
and several messages of the form:
   "Child process 10502 died: Signal 6"

This makes me think some portion of the rrd listening process is
crashing, leaving gaps in my data.

Can anyone suggest how to determine why the rrd is dying?

Could the absence of gaps in the previously mentioned charts be because
they are being populated by rrd_status rather than rrd_data?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration