[Xymon] File monitoring with `date` in filename

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Sep 27 09:47:58 CEST 2013

On 27 September 2013 17:27, Rolf Schrittenlocher <
schritte at ub.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote:

> I still have no idea what the bourne shell is doing on the client. Xymon
> user uses bash, maybe the error is the result of some other script using sh
> and not related to the file problem.

I think I worked it out.  The first line in "xymonclient.sh" is
"#!/bin/sh".  So doesn't matter what the xymon user's shell is, the script
runs under bourne shell.  Under Linux, /bin/sh is actually a symlink to
bash so the $() works.  But on other systems where /bin/sh is actually a
real bourne shell, you gotta do the bash work-around.