[Xymon] xymond_locator documentation and other thoughts

henrik at hswn.dk henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Sep 12 17:01:52 CEST 2013

On 10.09.2013 01:15, Clark, Sean wrote:
> xymond_locator program -
>
> I've read through the code and it makes sense ­ but is there (going
> be?) a man page or further explanation ?

Tell you what ... I would have to go read the code myself to document
it :-)

It was written quite some time ago because I was having severe
performance issues with RRD file updates - the disks just couldn't keep
up with the load. So xymond_channel got an addition that let it send
updates to a worker module on another server, and to find out where
stuff was I re-invented DNS in xymond_locator.

Well, kind of at least ...

It isn't my favourite piece of code, because it adds a fair bit of
complexity to the channel/worker communications.

> ps -- use "restofmsg"   NOT metadata[15]  -- because Henrik might
> just
> toss 4 more new metadata things in there and throw your whole code
> off :-D

Indeed!

> pppps (last one) - new-daemon.txt is the only place where the
> channels
> were formally explained, and that file is woefully out of date - I
> would
> suggest either dropping the file or updating it with the extra fields
> in it

Hmmm ... yes, I should document this properly. man-page, I guess.