[Xymon] Changing rrd definitions

john.r.rothlisberger at accenture.com john.r.rothlisberger at accenture.com
Tue Nov 19 17:27:13 CET 2013

Hi all -

I wanted to change the default rrd graphs and thought this may be relatively easy but then again..
Xymon 4.3.10
Ubuntu 12.10

Currently, all of the graphs are based on 576 data points which works great for graphs that are:
48 hours @ 5 minute average = 576
12 days @ 30 minute average = 576
48 days @ 2 hours average = 576
576 days @ 1 day average = 576

I want to increase some of the granularity and also reduce the final graph to 1 year.  So, I decided on these settings:
(based on 864 data points)
72 hours @ 5 minute average = 864
9 days @ 15 minute average = 864
27 days @ 45 minute average = 864
360 days @ 600 minute average = 864  (I was searching for a nice number that I could use for 1 year and this was as close as I could get)

I changed rrdefinitions.cfg to match the above (I hope my numbers are right):
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:864
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:3:864
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:9:864
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:120:864

I also changed "RRDWIDTH" in xymonserver.cfg from 576 to 864.

I assumed that all of my old graphs would remain as they were and that new graphs would take on the new characteristics above.
2 Things occurred:

  *   All the graphs grew to 864 data points in width (ok, that is fine)
  *   All the graphs still retained the original titles "Last 48 Hours", "Last 12 Days", etc.

I found those graph titles in showgraph.c:
showgraph.c:                            glegend = "Last 12 Days";
showgraph.c:                            glegend = "Last 48 Days";
showgraph.c:                            glegend = "Last 576 Days";

That leads to these questions:

  *   I can recompile showgraph.c - should I?  Is there an easier way?
  *   If new graphs take on the new characteristics, will I be able to change the old rrd files?  I understand that I can't create data that is not already there but is there a way to transition over time?

Is this a crazy idea?
Thanks,
John
Upcoming PTO:
None

John Rothlisberger
IT Strategy, Infrastructure & Security - Technology Growth Platform
TGP for Business Process Outsourcing
Accenture
312.693.3136 office

This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the e-mail by you is prohibited. Where allowed by local law, electronic communications with Accenture and its affiliates, including e-mail and instant messaging (including content), may be scanned by our systems for the purposes of information security and assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy. .