[Xymon] combine status and data in same column with graph

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 21:05:04 CET 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Vernon Everett <everett.vernon at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Asif
>>
>> Have a look here.
>> https://wiki.xymonton.org/doku.php/monitors:db_cpu.ksh
>> This is an example of what I think you are trying to do.
>>

> Looking at your link. What is  db-cpu::100 means in GRAPHS ? I did not see
> any thing in xymonserver.cfg man page to explain the ``:100'' after the
> columnname
>
> So essentially you are taking advantage of both status and data channel in
> the same script like I started with.
>
> I will revisit my initial approach, except I will make sure there is no
> NCV like data, like Jeremy suggested,  when sending to status channel or it
> screw up the rrd with garbage.

OK so this time it worked!! Thanks a lot to both Jeremy and Vernon!

I used the usual
  foo=ncv for TEST2RRD to generate rrd,
  GRAPHS=foo for it show up in trends column and
  SPLITNCV_foo="*;GAUGE" to create separate rrd, foo,ds1.rrd and
foo,ds2.rrd, for each dataset.

I sent MSG to status channel and *made sure* there is NCV type data in
there. I used the sed trick to get rid of
``:'' and ``='' in there.

And I sent NCV type data to the data channel. Used just one script like this

$XYMON $XYMSRV "status $MACHINE.$COLUMN $COLOR `date`

      ${MSG}
      "
$XYMON $XYMSRV "data $MACHINE.$COLUMN
      $(echo)
.. a : 2 ...
.. b : 3 ...
      $(echo)
"

In the graphs.cfg I have

[foo]
        FNPATTERN foo,(.*).rrd
        TITLE foo  - ds1 and ds2
        YAXIS %
        -u 100
        -l 0
        DEF:p at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:lambda:AVERAGE   # must use lambda if using
SPLITNCV
        LINE2:p at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@
        GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:LAST: \: %5.1lf (cur)
        GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
        GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
        GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n

This creates only one graph. How do I create multiple graphs? one for
foo,ds1.rrd and one for foo,ds2.rrd ?

Thanks again for all the help.

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu