[Xymon] Problem with NOTICE rule in alerts.cfg

Bill Arlofski waa-hobbitml at revpol.com
Fri May 24 16:46:26 CEST 2013

On 12/13/11 07:11, Henrik Størner wrote:
> On 08-12-2011 23:08, Bill Arlofski wrote:
>> I noticed that the xymon_alerts docs show there is a NOTICE keyword which is
>> described as:
>>
>> NOTICE    Rule matches if the message is a "notify" message. This type of
>> message
>> is sent when a host or test is disabled or enabled.
>>

>> I wanted to be alerted via a custom SMS script of any test as soon as it is
>> enabled or disabled. So in the alerts.cfg file I had initially set up a line
>> that I thought would trigger whenever a test was enabled or disabled like so:
>>

>> HOST=*
>>     SCRIPT $xymon-sms-alert $waaphone TIME=$smsalerthours FORMAT=SMS NOTICE
>>

>> As I was testing enabling and disabling, it appeared that I had gotten the
>> syntax correct and I was off to the next thing.
>>
>> However, when a normal test went yellow, I received two SMS alerts for it.
>>
>> My logs shows that the CFID environment variable was showing that my new alert
>> listed above was triggering the SMS as well as the PAGE=%firewalls/* alert
>> that was supposed to trigger it.
>
>> Would love to get this working correctly and appreciate any help!
>
> I think the description in the man-page could be improved.
>
> The idea behind NOTICE is that this is an addition to existing rules; if you
> get an alert, then you probably also want to get notified when the test is
> disabled. So the idea is that you add the "NOTICE" keyword to your existing
> "PAGE=%firewalls" rule - then you'll get the alert when it goes yellow, and a
> notification if it is disabled - but not the double alert.
>
> But I understand that you would like to know about *any* test that gets
> disabled - i.e. a notification that someone disabled a test, regardless of
> whether you actually receive an alert for that test or not. That is not
> possible currently, and frankly I am not sure if this should be handled by the
> alert-module - there is a separate Xymon channel that is fed all the
> enable/disable events, and I think this type of notification would be better
> handled by plugging into that data stream.
>
> Currently the only module using that enable/disable channel is the
> compatibility module for updating the "Big Brother" 'disabled' directory. But
> it would fairly trivial to create a module that triggered a message whenever
> something was disabled.
>

> Regards,
> Henrik

Hi Henrik... I commented out my HOST=* NOTICE rule and SCRIPT line back when
we had this conversation, but I neglected to leave myself a note in the
alerts.cfg file...

So basically, I went down the same path again today, when I found this old
thread in the list. Good thing I searched, otherwise it might appear that I am
becoming forgetful in my old age.  :)

In any case, I am only bothering you with this because I see you said " But
it would fairly trivial to create a module that triggered a message whenever
something was disabled."  and I am wondering if it is trivial enough to
actually bother doing.

Thanks...

P.S. See you again in two years. lol

--