[Xymon] xymon e-mail alerts show up as attachments instead of e-mail
poppy.ben at marshfieldclinic.org
Fri Mar 29 20:30:24 CET 2013
Basically, you have to strip out some characters. If you edit your xymonserver.cfg file to this:
MAILC="/usr/bin/tr -d '\\015' | mail" # Command used to send an e-mail with no subject
MAIL="$MAILC -s" # Command used to send an e-mail
You will not see those attachments any longer.
From: xymon-bounces at xymon.com [mailto:xymon-bounces at xymon.com] On Behalf Of Thomas Leavitt
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 1:49 PM
To: xymon at xymon.com
Subject: Re: [Xymon] xymon e-mail alerts show up as attachments instead of e-mail
I know this is an old thread, but I'm seeing similar behavior.
We recently migrated our SMTP server to Exim4 on Ubuntu.
I noticed a flood of error messages in the logs related to bb-test not waiting for the SMTP servers's response to each command before sending the next one. I researched this a bit, and both commented out the "send" part of the test, per earlier comments, and set "smtp_enforce_sync" to "false".
As a result, it appears that the body of my Xymon email alerts (as delivered to my client's gmail account) is now seen as a binary attachment, called "noname". If you "show original", the text of the body doesn't show up. The attachment can be opened in Notepad, I see what looks like linefeeds with no carriage returns in the body of that message. If you look at the headers of gmail, you see this line:
User-Agent: Heirloom mailx 12.5 6/20/10
Which makes me thing that Google / Gmail has the same problem as seen below.
Any fix that will both stop the annoying flood of messages in my smtp server log, while also avoid the annoying changes to Xymon alerts?
On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Scott Pfister <icepickjazz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not a wild thought. Yes you are correct. I was getting ready to post
> my findings. We recently moved our xymon server from fedora core 3 to SLES 11.
> Fedora used mail and SLES 11 mail is linked to mailx. The windows
> clients are sending carriage returns in the status ^M (carriage
> return). The problem occured on SuSe server but not on redhat server,
> because mailx expects input text to be in Unix format, with lines
> separated by newline (^J, \n) characters only. Non-Unix text files
> that use carriage return (^M,
> \r) characters in addition will be treated as binary data. Hence the
> reason we get notifications that show up as attachments. Also explains
> why AIX servers don't have the problem and the windows servers do.
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 9:36 PM, Scott Pfister <icepickjazz at gmail.com>
>> Not a wild thought. Yes you are correct. I was getting ready to
>> post my findings. We recently moved our xymon server from fedora core 3 to SLES 11.
>> Fedora used mail and SLES 11 mail is linked to mailx. The windows
>> clients are sending carriage returns in the status ^M (carriage
>> return). The problem occured on SuSe server but not on redhat
>> server, because mailx expects input text to be in Unix format, with
>> lines separated by newline (^J, \n) characters only. Non-Unix text
>> files that use carriage return (^M,
>> \r) characters in addition will be treated as binary data. Hence the
>> reason we get notifications that show up as attachments. Also
>> explains why AIX servers don't have the problem and the windows servers do.
>> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Ralph Mitchell
>> <ralphmitchell at gmail.com>
>>> Wild thought - could the Windows reports be turned into attachments
>>> in your email server and/or client because the line-ends are
>>> <cr><lf> instead of just <lf> ??
>>> Ralph Mitchell
>>> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Scott Pfister
>>> <icepickjazz at gmail.com>
>>>> Good day,
>>>> We are running xymon 4.2.3 and are experiencing some
>>>> particularities with e-mail alerts showing up as attachments like
>>>> att00001.bin instead of the normal message. The problem is
>>>> sporadic. For example windows server throws CPU alter. E-mail
>>>> sent shows up as an attachment in the recipient e-mail. AIX servers throw cpu alerts don't experience this problem. Client
>>>> shouldn't matter. Any tips for troubleshooting this issue? If we open the
>>>> attachment in the editor it shows what should be in the body of the email.
>>>> Hobbit server is running postfix.
>>>> red Mon Sep 19 15:07:50 EDT 2011 [indyctx8.companyname.com] up:
>>>> 10:12, 1 users, 224 procs, load=100%, PhysicalMem: 3072MB(74%)
>>>> Memory Statistics
>>>> Total Physical memory: 3220598784 bytes (3.00GB)
>>>> Available Physical memory: 850558976 bytes (812.00MB)
>>>> Total PageFile size: 4294967295 bytes (4.00GB)
>>>> Available PageFile size: 4294967295 bytes (4.00GB)
>>>> Total Virtual memory size: 2147352576 bytes (2.00GB)
>>>> Available Virtual memory size: 2106589184 bytes (1.96GB)
>>>> Most active processes
>>>> 96.23% oexplore (0x26a4 )
>>>> 00.60% svchost (0xbf0 )
>>>> 00.32% lsass (0x23c )
>>>> 00.26% oexplore (0x29c8 )
>>>> 00.25% oexplore (0x255c )
>>>> 00.21% Smc (0x3c4 )
>>>> 00.20% SmcGui (0x3230 )
>>>> 00.19% oexplore (0x20dc )
>>>> 00.16% oexplore (0x14d0 )
>>>> 00.13% XTE (0xfc4 )
>>>> Xymon mailing list
>>>> Xymon at xymon.com
> Xymon mailing list
> Xymon at xymon.com
Xymon mailing list
Xymon at xymon.com
The contents of this message may contain private, protected and/or privileged information. If you received this message in error, you should destroy the e-mail message and any attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information contained within. Please contact the sender and advise of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail or telephone. Thank you for your cooperation.
More information about the Xymon