[Xymon] xymonproxy SetUp Help Requested

Steve Holmes sholmes42 at mac.com
Wed Mar 13 15:44:05 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Nick Pettefar <Nick at pettefar.com> wrote:

> Hi, thanks for that.  I understand that but what I am wondering is
> what to put in the actual server's hosts.cfg file.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nick Pettefar
>

> On 13 March 2013 13:44, Steve Holmes <sholmes42 at mac.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 7:13 AM, Nick Pettefar <Nick at pettefar.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have an xymon client for a  NAS but the NAS is connected via another
> >> xymon client and is not reachable from the xymon server.  How would I
> >> set this up in the xymon server configuration - does it need a
> >> hosts.cfg entry and if so, what would it look like?  On the client, do
> >> I give it the address of the xymon client running xymonproxy or the
> >> actual server?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Nick Pettefar
> >

> > If I understand your situation correctly: turn the server with
> connection to
> > the main xymon server into a proxy and point the NAS to that proxy. I
> > believe you would have to install the xymon server there (to provide the
> > xymonproxy utility) turn off everything you don't need in tasks.cfg and
> turn
> > on xymonproxy. The comments are good in the file about how to do this.
> You
> > may have to use the arg to xymonproxy to tell it to listen to a
> different ip
> > than the standard one if the server is dual homed and the NAS is on,
> say, a
> > private network.
> >
> > I'm not sure if the proxy needs hosts.cfg. On my proxy it already does
> > because it was private network tester before it was a proxy.
> >
> > HTH
> > Steve
> > Purdue

Just treat it as if the NAS server were talking directly to the xymon
server.

Now, if the network tests can't get to the NAS from your main xymon server
then you would need to set up the server that we've been talking about as
the proxy to do the network tests. If you have to do this, it would have to
be configured to run xymonnet and have a copy of the hosts.cfg file. Set
the LOCATION variable in xymonserver.cfg on both servers (main and proxy)
and make them different (e.g. main and proxy), then on the host.cfg line
for the NAS server add the NET:proxy tag on both servers and in tasks.cfg
on the main server add the --test-untagged arg for xymonnet so you don't
have to add a NET:main on all of the other hosts.

Note that the xymonserver.cfg file on the proxy has to have the *main
server IP* value for the XYMSRV variable (IIR, I'm not working today :-).

Steve
Purdue

--
If they give you ruled paper, write the other way. -Juan Ramon Jimenez,
poet, Nobel Prize in literature (1881-1958)

I prayed for freedom for twenty years, but received no answer until I
prayed with my legs. -Frederick Douglass, Former slave, abolitionist,
editor, and orator (1817-1895)