[Xymon] Phantom trap alerts?

Betsy Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 11:54:01 CET 2013

We have one class of device (exadata storage cels)  , and one single
server out of hundreds, for which we occasionally get bogus trap
alerts.

We don't use trap alerts at present on *any* devices.

What happens is, we get a trap alert, and then after some time passes
it turns purple. Someone gets paged and woken up for the purple which
is VERY annoying. I drop it on the xymon server side, and it goes away
for days or weeks or months.

I can set a rule to ignore trap when paging, but why are we getting
them? The  exadata storage cels  do not run a xymon client, they are
ping monitored only.  The  lone server does run the linux client. What
could be triggering the trap just for these boxes? Has anyone else
ever experienced this?