[Xymon] regular expressions in analysis.cfg

Phil Crooker Phil.Crooker at orix.com.au
Wed Mar 6 01:04:46 CET 2013

Hi David,
Thanks, it does work on ignore statements with regular expressions but not with simple strings:

LOG eventlog_application %^warning COLOR=yellow "IGNORE=No externals have been specified"
LOG eventlog_application %^warning COLOR=yellow IGNORE="No externals have been specified"

If I escape the spaces or if I add the %, it works. But still, this is not logical - quotes are normally after the equal sign and of course it shouldn't be necessary to make this into a regex when it isn't.

thanks for the tip.

cheers, Phil

>>> David Baldwin <david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au> 03/04/13 4:43 PM >>>
Phil,

You need to put "" around entire IGNORE item - e.g.:

... "IGNORE=%Client \([0-9]7"

This applies for any use of regex in analysis.cfg which uses spaces.

David.

I'm having a problem with spaces in regular expressions when trying to IGNORE log entries. So for the line:

warning - 2013/03/04 12:52:21 - BigBrotherXymonClient (17) - The agent externals generated this event message : No externals have been specified

  works:	       LOG eventlog_application %^warning
  COLOR=red IGNORE=%Client.*17

  works:  	     LOG eventlog_application %^warning
  COLOR=red IGNORE=%Client.*[0-9]7

  works:  	     LOG eventlog_application %^warning
  COLOR=red IGNORE=Client\ \(17

  works:  	     LOG eventlog_application %^warning
  COLOR=red IGNORE=No\ externals\ have\ been\ specified

  doesn't work:   LOG eventlog_application %^warning
  COLOR=red IGNORE=%"Client \([0-9]7"

  doesn't work:   LOG eventlog_application %^warning
  COLOR=red IGNORE="Client \(17"

  doesn't work:   LOG eventlog_application %^warning
  COLOR=red IGNORE="Client (17"

  doesn't work:   LOG eventlog_application %^warning
  COLOR=red IGNORE="No externals have been specified"

Is this correct? If so, why no spaces??? It is very confusing
as spaces are used elsewhere, eg I can have spaces in a DISK
name in analysis.cfg: DISK "/yada yada" 90 95, and spaces can be
used in various places in hosts.cfg.

thanks, Phil

David Baldwin - Senior Systems Administrator (Datacentres + Networks)
Information and Communication Technology Services
Australian Sports Commission          http://ausport.gov.au
Tel 02 62147830 Fax 02 62141830       PO Box 176 Belconnen ACT 2616
david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au          Leverrier Street Bruce ACT 2617

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.