[Xymon] reducing size of /dev/shm/msg.<hostname> file

cleaver at terabithia.org cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Mar 5 14:22:54 CET 2013

> Hello.
>
> Can I disable collecting some data in /dev/shm/msg.<hostname> ?
> Kernel routing table for examle...
> That would be very useful on host with Quagga/BGP:
>
> # ls -l /dev/shm/msg*
> -rw-r--r-- 1 xymon xymon 27890381 Mar  5 17:01 /dev/shm/msg.XXX.txt
>
> --
> Regards,
> Sergey

Compression across the wire becomes possible in trunk, but in terms of
size of the actual message it becomes a bit of a trade-off between size
and what might or might not be useful later on for forensics/diagnosis.

(If there's one specific host that's got a pathological value in there,
you can hack xymonclient-${os}.sh manually to keep from gathering it,
without affecting anything that doesn't depend on that raw data.)

If it's the size of the actual file left on disk after the transmission is
completed... Well, it's kind of left on there for debugging purposes, but
strictly speaking it's not needed between runs. See the tail end of
xymonclient.sh for notes.

HTH,
-jc