[Xymon] New monitoring script on Xmonton

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 07:40:58 CET 2013

Hi all

I have just put something together to monitor Oracle database CPU usage.
http://www.xymonton.org/monitors:db_cpu.ksh

A bit of background.
We run multiple databases on a single host. (Those who know Orable's
licensing policy will understand why.)
The DBAs were keen to know how much of the CPU a single instance was using.

I scripted it, and then realised Xymon could graph it, and probably do even
more with this information.
It has turned into something very useful.
We use it for balancing load, scheduling high-load jobs, license reduction,
and now have a better idea of the usage profiles over time.

It should work if you have multiple databases running each in a separate
zone, but you will have to run the script from within the global zone.
You will also need to have a method of identifying the Oracle processes, so
I hope your oracle user has the same UID in every zone.

Feel free to report any bugs you find.

Regards
Vernon

--
"Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory"
- General George Patton