[Xymon] [Newbie] Understanding client-server configuration (terabithia's rpm 4.3.10-1.fc17)

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Mar 1 03:45:00 CET 2013

On 28 February 2013 23:28, Sergey <a_s_y at sama.ru> wrote:

> I need connections tests to another hosts. If I understood correctly, I
> need
> to install the server in this case.

No, you only need to install the Xymon server software where you want to
collect and display the test results. With this alone, the Xymon server can
display the results of any network tests (conn=ping, ssh, smtp, dns, http)
sent to any other server.  No other software is required, just the Xymon
server software.

If the Xymon server needs to monitor its own OS parameters (CPU, memory,
disk), it also needs to have the Xymon client software installed and
running.

If the Xymon server needs to monitor another host's OS parameters (CPU,
memory, disk), the Xymon client software needs to be installed onto the
other host.

> Ok. I attempted to do it now. Secondary
> server sending self data (cpu, disk e.t.c.) to main server, but not sending
> information about connection.

No, because connections are tested by the Xymon server, not the other
server.

>  hosts.cfg of secondary server:

No hosts.cfg is required on the secondary server, because it is only a
Xymon client.  It only needs the Xymon client software installed and
running.

I see only  "xymon-server.my.dom" and "xymon-client.my.dom" (with their
> tests) on information web page of mail server. Is there a chance to see
> "server2.my.dom" on the main server ?

Yes.  Add server2.my.dom into hosts.cfg on the Xymon server.

> > It makes it easy to copy the files to another server and run them.
>
> But xymon contains binary files. They should be rebuild for another
> system...

Correct.  They are probably there just because they were always there.