[Xymon] Xymon server to monitor off-site cluster [private nodes]

Joseph De Nicolo denicoloj at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 18:24:48 CEST 2013

Xymon users & admins,

I write to you in seek of help for a problem that may be simple for some
but I am having trouble tackling. I will try my best explain:

I wish to monitor a scientific computing cluster, these are the details:
There is a head node and 9 slave blade servers - 10 nodes total.
The slave servers are all connected to a private network, therefore
The head node has 2 active network devices - 1 for the private network, and
1 for the outer network to allow remote access to the cluster. This is the
ONLY entry/outgoing point
If the slave nodes need to go out to the internet for updates, ect.. they
connect through a proxy on the head node.

My xymon server is located off-site but firewall settings allow
communication between the head node of the cluster and my xymon server. I
am currently just probing network tests on the head node, I did NOT install
a xymon client or server yet on any node of the cluster.

How can I get a report pushed / pulled to my xymon server so that I can
monitor and test all aspects of EVERY NODE? I want to be able to receive
hardware and custom tests as well. Do I need to setup some sort of relay
xymon server on the head node, or can I just configure the xymon slave
clients to use tinyproxy which is already set up on the head node?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

PS: this cluster is running hadoop, are there any xymon custom
scripts/tests for development & computing servers like this? Maybe
something specific to clusters, library / dev environment checks or hadoop ?
*Joseph De Nicolo*
*Secure Database Administrator
*
*Center for Complex Network Research <http://www.barabasilab.com>*