[Xymon] XYMONTMP vs XYMONVAR

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Jun 8 18:10:16 CEST 2013

On 08-06-2013 17:36, Mark Felder wrote:
> I've noticed what I believe to be discrepancies between the supplied
> configs and documentation. I'm currently the xymon port maintainer on
> FreeBSD, and it has bugged me that the acks, data, and disabled
> directories never seem to have anything in them, even when we have tons
> of things acked or disabled.
[snip]
> Why is the xymond_alert checkpoint-file going to XYMONTMP? Isn't it
> supposed to be going to XYMONACKDIR? Or is that unrelated? Can anyone
> explain why XYMONACKDIR, XYMONDATADIR, and XYMONDISABLEDDIR are always
> empty?

These directories exist only for historical reasons. The old "Big
Brother" tool used these to store information about acks, data-messages,
and disabled tests. Xymon doesn't, it keeps all of this in RAM and just
dumps a checkpoint-file occasionally (into the tmp directory, as you've
found).

There is a compatibility module in Xymon - xymond_filestore - which can
be enabled if required for some Big Brother specific applications. This
module will fill the ack / data / disabled directories with files in the
format generated by Big Brother.

Although I've never heard of anyone actually using it :-)

Hope that helps