[Xymon] Version 5 with IPv6 - anyone for testing? And some news ...

Christian Herzog herzog at phys.ethz.ch
Tue Jul 30 09:58:23 CEST 2013

Hi Henrik,

executive summary: wow!

We dove right in, and things are looking pretty good. Stuff we noticed:

make install:
- error: chown xymon /opt/xymon/server/etc/protocols.cfg - cannot access
  `/opt/xymon/server/etc/protocols.cfg': No such file or directory,
  lines 136f in xymonnet/Makefile - obsolete protocols.cfg
- error: chown xymon /opt/xymon/server/ext/* - cannot access
  `/opt/xymon/server/ext/*': No such file or directory

after that, we quickly managed to get it up and running with some of our hosts
and also an IPv6-only machine. Our patch [1] is no longer needed. The new
client sometimes complains in the logs:
xymon 4.3.99
Usage: /opt/xymon/client/bin/xymon [--debug] [--merge]
[--proxy=http://ip.of.the.proxy:port/] RECIPIENT DATA
  RECIPIENT: IP-address, hostname or URL
  DATA: Message to send, or "-" to read from stdin

but still reports just fine. Other than that: great work! This is amazing
progress compared to the last trunk version we tried.

We'll continue to play around with it and let you know what our experiences
are.

thanks,
-Christian