[Xymon] Bug? Dropping host doesn't remove hostdata

cleaver at terabithia.org cleaver at terabithia.org
Mon Jul 22 20:40:21 CEST 2013

> On Mon, 2013-07-22 at 12:21 +0100, John Horne wrote:
>>
>> I've started xymond_hostdata with the '--debug' option, but am not
>> seeing the '@@drophost' command being received. The main xymond log sees
>> the actual 'drop jhvm2' command though ('jhvm2' is the test host name).
>> So I am currently testing the above bit of code to see that it is
>> actually being reached.
>>
> Well I'm a bit stumped with this.
>
> I have added several dbgprintf statements (which begin with 'JH:') to
> both xymond.c and xymond_hostdata.c. I also modified tasks.cfg so that
> xymond and xymond_hostdata started with the '--debug' option.
>
> The log files show the command being received and sent to the xymon
> channels. However, the hostdata.log does not show it being received.

*snip*

> So the command is accepted by xymond and sent on, but not received by
> xymond_hostdata.
>
> Unfortunately (?) this IPC is controlled by semaphores, so seeing as to
> why xymond_hostdata does not pick up the message may be difficult.

A ha! It all makes sense now... :) The root of this is actually a known
issue: drop commands not getting sent to the CLICHG channel, which is why
it only shows up here and not, say, xymond_rrd... xymond_hostdata is the
only built-in that uses this one.

It's patched in the Terabithia RPMs from last month, but it's not in the
release tarball yet. The attached file should resolve it for you; can you
verify?

HTH,

-jc