[Xymon] rrd graphs in Xymon

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Tue Jan 29 23:36:41 CET 2013

Neil,

> Hi all,
>

> I’ve got an unusual issue at the moment with Graphs.
>

> I’ve written a script to collect Average Disk Queue Length from
> Windows servers and am looking to add a graph.
>

> I’ve configured the data as NCV in Xymonserver.cfg and I’ve created
> the graph definitions. Unfortunately because I have different number
> of disks on each server it’s not working unless the server has exactly
> the number of disks that I have set up in the graph definition.
>

> At the moment the only 2 ways I can think of to get around this is to
> either have a different column name for each server (which would be
> very messy) or to change my script so that it will output lines for 10
> disks even if it only has 1, so for example I would have this,
>

> Disk0 : 1
>
> Disk1 :
>
> Disk2 :
>
> Disk3 :
>
> Disk4 :
>
> Disk5 :
>
> Disk6 :
>
> Disk7 :
>
> Disk8 :
>
> Disk9 :
>

> Not as messy as the different columns but still a bit untidy.
>

> Does anyone know a way to define a graph so that it will still work
> even if it doesn’t find data in the rrd file for one or more of the
> DEF statements in the graph definition?

Only general/practical way to do this is to have an RRD for each disk. I
have done the same thing you are trying to do using devmon and
SNMP-Informant which exposes WMI data through SNMP. Then you can choose
to display 1 graph per disk or group a number together.

devmon sends its data via the status message as below:

<!--DEVMON RRD: dperf 0 0
DS:qlen:GAUGE:600:0:U DS:bps:GAUGE:600:0:U DS:rbps:GAUGE:600:0:U DS:wbps:GAUGE:600:0:U
C 0:124800:0:124767
D 0:0:0:0
Total 0:124774:0:124767
HarddiskVolume1 0:0:0:0
-->

The same thing can be done with a data message to trends pseudo-column
(good idea to also send a status message to create a page with current
data values) which I have done with various Powershell monitoring
scripts - note 1 block per disk, but the RRD definitions are repeated:

data myhost.trends
[dperf.C.rrd]
DS:qlen:GAUGE:600:0:U 0
DS:bps:GAUGE:600:0:U 124800
DS:rbps:GAUGE:600:0:U 0
DS:wbps:GAUGE:600:0:U 124767

[dperf.D.rrd]
DS:qlen:GAUGE:600:0:U 0
DS:bps:GAUGE:600:0:U 0
DS:rbps:GAUGE:600:0:U 0
DS:wbps:GAUGE:600:0:U 0

The graph definitions:

[dperf]
        FNPATTERN dperf.(.+).rrd
        TITLE Disk Performance
        YAXIS Bytes / sec
        DEF:qlen at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:qlen:AVERAGE
        DEF:bps at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:bps:AVERAGE
        DEF:rbps at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:rbps:AVERAGE
        DEF:wbps at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:wbps:AVERAGE
        LINE2:qlen at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@
        GPRINT:qlen at RRDIDX@:LAST:QLen  \: %5.1lf (cur)
        GPRINT:qlen at RRDIDX@:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
        GPRINT:qlen at RRDIDX@:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
        GPRINT:qlen at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n
        LINE2:bps at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@
        GPRINT:bps at RRDIDX@:LAST:TotalBPS    \: %5.1lf (cur)
        GPRINT:bps at RRDIDX@:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
        GPRINT:bps at RRDIDX@:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
        GPRINT:bps at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n
        LINE2:rbps at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@
        GPRINT:rbps at RRDIDX@:LAST:ReadBPS    \: %5.1lf (cur)
        GPRINT:rbps at RRDIDX@:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
        GPRINT:rbps at RRDIDX@:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
        GPRINT:rbps at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n
        LINE2:wbps at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@
        GPRINT:wbps at RRDIDX@:LAST:WriteBPS    \: %5.1lf (cur)
        GPRINT:wbps at RRDIDX@:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
        GPRINT:wbps at RRDIDX@:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
        GPRINT:wbps at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n

[dperfqlen]
        FNPATTERN dperf.(.+).rrd
        TITLE Disk Load
        YAXIS Queue Length
        DEF:qlen at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:qlen:AVERAGE
        LINE2:qlen at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@ Queue Length
        GPRINT:qlen at RRDIDX@:LAST: \: %5.1lf (cur)
        GPRINT:qlen at RRDIDX@:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
        GPRINT:qlen at RRDIDX@:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
        GPRINT:qlen at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n

> *Regards,*
>

> *Neil Simmonds*
>
> *Senior Operations Analyst (Operations Support Group)**
> **Express Gifts Limited*
>
> Express House
>
> ClaytonBusiness Park
>
> Accrington
>
> Lancashire
>
> BB5 5JY
> T: 01254 303092 | E: neil.simmonds at Express-Gifts.co.uk
> <mailto:neil.simmonds at Express-Gifts.co.uk>
>

> Name & Registered Office: EXPRESS GIFTS LIMITED, 2 GREGORY ST, HYDE,
> CHESHIRE, ENGLAND, SK14 4TH, Company No. 00718151.
>
> Express Gifts Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial
> Services Authority

> NOTE: This email and any information contained within or attached in a
> separate file is confidential and intended solely for the Individual
> to whom it is addressed. The information or data included is solely
> for the purpose indicated or previously agreed. Any information or
> data included with this e-mail remains the property of Findel PLC and
> the recipient will refrain from utilising the information for any
> purpose other than that indicated and upon request will destroy the
> information and remove it from their records. Any views or opinions
> presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
> represent those of Findel PLC. If you are not the intended recipient,
> be advised that you have received this email in error and that any
> use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is
> strictly prohibited. No warranties or assurances are made in relation
> to the safety and content of this e-mail and any attachments. No
> liability is accepted for any consequences arising from it. Findel Plc
> reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
> internal and external networks. If you have received this email in
> error please notify our IT helpdesk on +44(0) 1254 303030

David Baldwin - Senior Systems Administrator (Datacentres + Networks)
Information and Communication Technology Services
Australian Sports Commission          http://ausport.gov.au
Tel 02 62147830 Fax 02 62141830       PO Box 176 Belconnen ACT 2616
david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au          Leverrier Street Bruce ACT 2617

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.