[Xymon] SSL Error after upgrading to Fedora 18

Another Xymon User xymon at epperson.homelinux.net
Fri Jan 25 19:10:15 CET 2013

So things are good with an explicit path to the CA bundle.

Are the
"[ ca ]" and " [ CA_default ]" sections in /etc/pki/tls/openssl.cnf
correct? Is the geosoft.crt file included in the file pointed to by
"certificate =" in CA_default? (On my F17 systems that is cacert.pem,
which is a slink to /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt)

On 2013-01-25
12:16, Jason Chambers wrote:

> Not a problem with that.
>
> *
Connected to webapp2013.geosoft.com (192.168.0.9) port 443 (#0)

> *
Initializing NSS with certpath: sql:/etc/pki/nssdb

> * CAfile:
./geosoft.crt

> CApath: none
>
> * SSL connection using
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA

> * Server certificate:
>
> *
subject: CN=webapp2013.geosoft.com,OU=IT,O=Geosoft
Inc.,L=Toronto,ST=Ontario,C=CA

> * start date: Nov 12 17:31:09 2012
GMT

> * expire date: Nov 12 17:31:09 2014 GMT
>
> * common name:
webapp2013.geosoft.com

> * issuer: CN=Geosoft Inc.,DC=geosoft,DC=com

> Jason Chambers
> Network Administrator | Geosoft
> geosoft.com [6]
| blog [7] | twitter [8] | linkedIn [9] | facebook [10] | T +1
416.369.0111 #344 | M +1 416.508.1410

> Trending topic on Earth
Explorer: VOXI Earth Modelling [11]

[mailto:ralphmitchell at gmail.com]
> SENT: January-25-13 11:11 AM
> TO:
Jason Chambers
> CC: Henrik Størner; xymon at xymon.com
> SUBJECT: Re:
[Xymon] SSL Error after upgrading to Fedora 18

> Try handing curl
the CA cert for your internal CA:

path_to_your_CA_cert.pem https://server.domain.com [12]

> Ralph
Mitchell

<Jason.Chambers at geosoft.com> wrote:

>> I think there might be a bug
in OpenSSL in this build of Fedora 18 (which I have updated.) I ran the
command you gave me and I'm getting this:

>> CONNECTED(00000003)

write:errno=104
>> ---
>> no peer certificate available
>> ---
>> No
client certificate CA names sent
>> ---
>> SSL handshake has read 0
bytes and written 172 bytes
>> ---
>> New, (NONE), Cipher is (NONE)

Secure Renegotiation IS NOT supported
>> Compression: NONE
>> Expansion:
NONE
>> ---
>>
>> Which is suggesting that there isn't an SSL
certificate there. Yet when I curl the location:

>> curl: (60)
Peer's Certificate issuer is not recognized.
http://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html [1]

>> curl performs SSL
certificate verification by default, using a "bundle"
>> of Certificate
Authority (CA) public keys (CA certs). If the default
>> bundle file
isn't adequate, you can specify an alternate file
>> using the --cacert
option.
>> If this HTTPS server uses a certificate signed by a CA
represented in
>> the bundle, the certificate verification probably
failed due to a
>> problem with the certificate (it might be expired, or
the name might
>> not match the domain name in the URL).
>> If you'd
like to turn off curl's verification of the certificate, use
>> the -k
(or --insecure) option.

>> Would this be everyone elses conclusion
as well?

>> Jason Chambers
>> Network Administrator | Geosoft

geosoft.com [2] | blog | twitter | linkedIn | facebook | T +1
416.369.0111 #344 [3] | M +1 416.508.1410 [4]

Message-----