[Xymon] Feature Request ~ logfetch

cleaver at terabithia.org cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Feb 27 16:22:18 CET 2013

> On 02/25/2013 03:55 PM, Michael Beatty wrote:
>> I see the comments made in logfetch.c
>>
>> /* Is it ok for these to be hardcoded ? */ #define MAXCHECK
>> 102400   /* When starting, dont look at more than 100 KB of data
>> */ #define MAXMINUTES 30 #define POSCOUNT ((MAXMINUTES / 5) + 1)
>> #define LINES_AROUND_TRIGGER 5
>>
>> My answer to this would be, "no".
>>
>> Due to various reasons, it is not desirable to run my client more
>> than once every hour.  Therefore, the msgs check for log files is
>> almost useless unless I change these values (and honestly, I'm not
>> even sure that would work as I haven't seen if this would impact
>> anything else). If I ran my client every hour, I would lose 50% of
>> my log data.
>>
>> I would like to see where the log check would be dependent on how
>> long of an interval your client is run as opposed to a hard coded
>> 30 minutes.
>
> I personally have no need for this change at the moment, but I agree
> that no it's not OK for them to be hardcoded. Seems to be an easy
> enough change to make and there's virtually no benefit (that I can
> think of) to hard coding.

That does seem a little suspect. There definitely needs to be *some* sort
of safety max_buffer size, but perhaps in this day of disk space out the
yin-yang it warrants an increase.

The POSCOUNT/MAXMINUTES values are compile time defines, but there might
be a better way to derive from the last run how far back to go... And the
"current" run interval (except when using CRONDATE) is put into the
environment at runtime by to xymonlaunch.

-jc