[Xymon] EXT :Re: What tests are coming from a client?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Feb 21 04:14:45 CET 2013

I'd start at the client, and make sure that you can telnet to the server on
port 1984.  Check also the values of $XYMSRV, $XYMSERVERS and $XYMONDPORT
from within xymoncmd, like so:

$ echo 'echo XYMSRV=$XYMSRV XYMSERVERS=$XYMSERVERS XYMONDPORT=$XYMONDPORT'
| ~xymon/client/bin/xymoncmd

Either XYMSRV or XYMSERVERS should have the IP address of your Xymon server.

You should also be able to do this:

$ echo '$XYMON $XYMSRV "hostinfo host=$MACHINE"' |
~xymon/client/bin/xymoncmd

This should dump the section of your hosts.cfg file from your server
related to the Xymon client on which you're running your command.  If you
get nothing, you have a problem either with the local configuration or a
mis-match between the host name as it is known on Xymon client vs Xymon
server.

In the latter case, this should at least give you something:

$ echo '$XYMON $XYMSRV "hostinfo"' | ~xymon/client/bin/xymoncmd

On the Xymon server side, you could run tcpdump or snoop to capture Xymon
packets and confirm they are being received by the Xymon server.

To confirm client messages are being processed, run this on the Xymon
server:

$ su - xymon -c '~xymon/server/bin/xymoncmd xymond_channel --channel=client
--filter=10.1.2.3 cat'

The filter can be anything that matches the first line of a client message,
which typically contains the IP address and name of the client that is
sending the message.

If you get something (might have to wait up to 5 minutes) then you know
that xymond has received and processed the client message.