[Xymon] Questions regarding installation of Xymon

Norbert Kriegenburg norbert.kriegenburg at de.ibm.com
Tue Feb 19 14:57:25 CET 2013

If you mean Xymon client it will be no big deal.
I never used a priviledged user for BigBrother or Xymon client, not for
installation nor elsewhere (one of the main advantages of Xymon!).
Once a user for the client is added by the Unix admins (usually group
other) with a home dir, I can install the client.

I created an install script to
- copy all neccessary dirs via scp to the client, and
- create a cronjob to check if the client is up. If not, it will start the
client,
- copy the ssh keys for keybased authentification (makes it a lot more
easier to administer the clients).

Thus I don't need extra rights to insert a start-script in init.d or so,
and the system will not be modified in core components/libraries/whatever.
This is a lot more foolproof and makes the SA's happier.

Norbert