[Xymon] sepparated disk alerts

Aiquen aiqueneldar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 21:14:51 CET 2013

Greetings

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this question or more
like it, new feature request. How ever I'm gonna post here and hope
someone will point me right if this is the wrong place.

For the issue at hand. At my company we use Xymon to monitor thousands
of servers. And sometimes disks gets filled and thus generates an
alert. Sometimes this won't get looked into for a couple of days since
our clients have specified that they want to remove data themselves
(and not buy more storage). And as several servers have 3 - 8 disk
and/or partitions we sometimes have trouble monitoring the other disks
since one is already sending an alert.

Example:
Server1 has 3 monitored partitions of a disk:
/
/srv/important/data
/srv/database

with the same limits on all three: 80% -> yellow alert; 90% -> red alert
Then if /srv/important/data reaches 82% the client wants us to notify
them and they will free up space. This normaly takes around 3 - 5
working days. But they also wants us to monitor /srv/database. And say
that 1 day after /srv/important/data gets filled, /srv/database
reaches 84%. That will not trigger a new alert in the non-green status
view which is what we monitor.

The question/request is then as this: Is there a way to get the client
to report each disk/partition as a separate alert, so we can disable
the alert for one disk while receiving alerts for the other
disks/partions. To use the example I want to be able to temporarily
set /srv/important/data in disabled mode while still getting alerts
from /srv/database

I know this could be solved by writing my own script for the client,
but that was disapproved of from management as they want as few custom
scripts to maintain as possible (we already have dozens of custom
scripts).

All help and feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Kind regards
Calle Lejdbrandt