[Xymon] Documentation on flapping status is unclear

SebA spah at syntec.co.uk
Tue Feb 5 14:41:14 CET 2013

Henrik, probably,

Why is this the case:
<QUOTE>The flap-count setting should be at least (N/300)-1, e.g. if you set
flap-seconds to 3600 (1 hour), then flap-count should be at least
(3600/300)-1, i.e. 11.</QUOTE>

I presume these figures come from an assumption that connection checks and
status updates are done every 5 minutes per host/test... because 300 is 5
minutes and 5 minute is the default xymonnet and xymon-client interval.

In my case connection checks are done every minute, and TBH I think the only
use of flap detection is for connection checks. It creates far too many
alerts for custom statuses - and even for disk space alarms: if I wanted
flap detection on it, I would just set it to alert immediately, if not, I
set the initial delay to e.g. 30 minutes.

So, if my connection checks are done every minute by a single xymonnet (and
xymonnetagain running at 30 second intervals), it should be possible to get
30 flaps in 30 minutes (ignoring xymonnetagain for now). Changing the 300
above to 60: (1800/60)-1=29. So I should set my flap-count to 29 if I follow
this formula? But why does one have to have at least the number from the
formula? Would 20 not be enough flaps in a 30 minute period (with testing at
least once a minute)? Is the problem that xymond is only remembering the
last flap-count statuses (for each test) and not flap-count status
_changes_?

Kind regards,

SebA