[Xymon] Client install gone wrong

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Dec 18 02:55:48 CET 2013

On 18 December 2013 10:47, Diep, David (OCTO-Contractor)
<David.Diep at dc.gov>wrote:

>  “configure” is this local? Or do you have to specify “./configure
> --server” or “./configure --client” or “./configure”

You can do any of these.  When you run "./configure" it simply  runs
"./configure.server" for you.  If you run "./configure --server" it does
the same thing also.

If you run "./configure --client" then the configure script simply runs
"./configure.client".

So there are several different ways to do the same two things.  Running
"./configure --client" is the official way.

You can also do the following, which ensures that it builds a client using
server-side configuration, without being prompted about it:

$ CONFTYPE=server ./configure --client

 ·         “configure.server” allows for client configurations as well as
> server configuration all on one machine

Yes.

> ·         “configure.client” this does not work very well

This works fine, as long as you use "server configuration" (central
configuration).  If you use "client configuration" (local configuration)
then you run into the compile problem.

> I did “./configure --server” on two machines. I see now that I only needed
> it on one machine and one machine only. All I need to do is update
> hosts.cfg, alerts.cfg, etc…

Yes.

The server build also has a client build included (a Xymon server should
also be a Xymon client, so that it can watch itself).  So another option is
to manually copy the "xymon/client" directory from your server to any host
you want to monitor, then just create the xymon user/group, make sure the
"tmp" and "log" directories are writeable by this user, and create an init
script to run the "runclient.sh" script.

Alternatively, after building (but not installing) the server code
(./configure --server), you can do a client-only install:

$ make install-client

This will copy only the client parts of the install.  You still need to
create the xymon user/group and setup the init script for runclient.sh.

I agree that the main install doco is not as clear as it could be, and
focuses almost exclusively on the server setup.  However, there's a
README.CLIENT file in the source that is a much better guide for installing
just the client "agent".