[Xymon] Windows Questions...

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 14:39:10 CET 2013

Greetings all.

I'm getting an odd behavior surrounding Windows mounts, and I thought some
of you might have some tips.

Xymon 4.3.11
over 100 hosts managed, no issues
Many monitoring various disk mounts in Linux, no issues.

I'm monitoring a shared disk in Linux-land like so:

First, I've touched an empty file on the mount.  This mount is n Linux:

/mnt/j/MOUNTMONITOR

analysis.cfg:

FILE /mnt/j/MOUNTMONITOR TYPE=file OWNERID=root GROUPID=nfsnobody MODE=0770
red TRACK

client-local.cfg:
file:/mnt/j/MOUNTMONITOR:10240

All behaves precisely as I would expect.  If I dismount /mnt/j, then Xymon
alerts, and all is happy.

However, in the case of Windows, it's not so easy for some reason.  I tried
to mirror what I was doing in Linux on the Windows side like so:

analysis.cfg:

FILE J:/MOUNTMONITOR TYPE=file OWNERID=root GROUPID=nfsnobody MODE=0770 red
TRACK

client-local.cfg

file:J:/MOUNTMONITOR:10240

If I unmap the drive, Xymon (BBWin, more appropriately) doesn't care.  It
just happily continues on as I would expect.  Further, I can delete the
empty file MOUNTMONITOR and all the linux boxes go red for that mount while
the Windows boxes act as if nothing ever happened.

What is the *proper* way to monitor a file on a mounted drive in Windows,
or under the BBWin client?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

---
Jerald M. Sheets jr.