[Xymon] 404 Not Found URL/xymon was not found on this server

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Dec 13 00:46:10 CET 2013

On 13 December 2013 01:34, Diep, David (OCTO-Contractor)
<David.Diep at dc.gov>wrote:

> I’m happy and its up. I’m now going to configure other hosts… the
> instructions aren’t too clear, do I just do the same install on the other
> machines?

If you're installing from packages then you wouldn't normally do the same
on all your hosts.  Instead, you install the client (agent) and the server
packages on your Xymon server (that is, where Apache runs), and on the
hosts you want to monitor, you only need the client package.  If installing
from source code, you do the same "make install" on the clients, but you
only run the client process using "~xymon/client/runclient.sh".  A much
quicker way would be to simply copy the ~xymon/client/ directory to the
other clients.

> Once installed, I can pick a specific machine to be the main server to
> monitor the other servers?

Typically you have only one server with the Xymon "server" component.  You
can have more than one, but it makes things a little more complicated, so
consider that an advanced topic.  Once you've chosen a machine, copy the
client directory over, create the xymon user/group and check that he can
write to ~xymon/tmp and ~xymon/logs.

Then you need to configure each client with that machine's IP address,
defined in xymonclient.cfg in XYMSERVERS.  If you have more than one Xymon
server, you can list the IP addresses in XYMSERVERS, separated by spaces.
Run "man xymonclient.cfg" on your Xymon server for more info on these
configurables.

Note that the client processes on your server are not (usually) run in the
same way as on a client-only installation.  The Xymon server already has an
instance of xymonlaunch (the task scheduler) running and so a second one is
not required.  So the Xymon server has [xymonclient] section in tasks.cfg
that is used to run the xymonclient.sh process, using the configuration in
the xymonclient.cfg file.  This applies to all client-type processes - that
is, they are all run from the configuration in the Xymon server tasks.cfg
file, instead of the clientlaunch.cfg file that is used on Xymon clients.

HTH

Cheers
Jeremy