[Xymon] Ping Mulitple IPs Per System?

Deiss, Mark Mark.Deiss at xerox.com
Mon Aug 26 14:24:47 CEST 2013

>From the hosts.cfg man page:

conn={best,|worst,}IP1[,IP2...]
This adds additional IP-adresses that are pinged during the normal "conn" test. So the normal "conn" test must be enabled (the default) before this tag has any effect. The IP-adresses listed here are pinged in addition to the main IP-address.

When multiple IP's are pinged, you can choose if ALL IP's must respond (the "worst" method), or AT LEAST one IP must respond (the "best" setting). All of the IP's are reported in a single "conn" status, whose color is determined from the result of pinging the IP's and the best/worst setting. The default method is "best" - so it will report green if just one of the IP's respond to ping.

The problem I had with this approach is that if you wanted to test a bunch of VIPs and console IP for a given server, there is nothing that identifies what is what. All you get is each IP and it's state. I prefer to add comments for each IP to be embedded in the web display. To that end created an external test that would parse the hosts.cfg for ip declarations that would optionally contain descriptions to be displayed with the associated IP. If you want that, I can dig it out and send it to you.