[Xymon] ssh Unexpected service response

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Aug 14 04:11:04 CEST 2013

Vernon

Is there anything interesting showing in the sshd logs on the Solaris host,
especially differences between the entries for success vs failure?  Is this
happening on any other similar servers?

The xymonnet process has a 10-second timeout for each connection, and
probably gives the "unexpected service response" if it doesn't see "SSH" in
that time.  You could try increasing the timeout (adding "--timeout=20" to
the xymonnet CMD in tasks.cfg) and see if that helps.

I suspect you're getting a DNS reverse-lookup delay.  Many sshd processes
will, by default, perform a reverse lookup of the connecting IP address, so
that it can put the name into the logs.  Many stub resolvers time-out after
15 seconds, and sshd gives up and goes on without the hostname.  I see this
on servers that have been misconfigured for DNS, and it takes 15 seconds to
login every time, until either the DNS config is fixed up, or sshd is made
to not wait for DNS.

You can speed up this reverse lookup by adding the Xymon server IP and name
into /etc/hosts.  Most sshd implementations allow you to turn off the
reverse lookups, either by running with the "-u0" parameter, or (more
recently) by adding "UseDNS no" into sshd_config.  I do this as a matter of
course on any new servers I deploy.