[Xymon] Checking disk space on a "backup" system

Michael Beatty Michael.Beatty at sherwin.com
Wed Apr 10 16:27:43 CEST 2013

All of the hosts that I will be monitoring have a backup.  This backup
is, for most all practical purposes, idle.  It does nothing but sits and
wait for someone to move it into production.  The primary system copies
files and database exports over to this backup system.  I had no
intention on running a Xymon client on these backup systems (though one
would be installed and waiting to be started), the only monitoring is a
ping test.

With that said, one exposure that exists on these backup systems is that
the disk space in the file system has the potential to fill up.  Is
there any functionality built into xymon that would let me check the
disk space on this remote system and report it back from the primary system?

My initial thought was to write an extension script that does an 'rsh
backup du /home/user/' and parsing the results and test against a
threshold, but I would prefer to utilize what is built into xymon before
recreating the wheel.

Thanks

--
Michael Beatty