[Xymon] Best way to monitor for configuration value?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Sep 21 01:45:48 CEST 2012

On 21 September 2012 01:25, Betsy Schwartz <betsy.schwartz at gmail.com> wrote:

> To clarify:
>
> We are OK with having the configuration file changing, we are just

No problem.

> New requirement:
>    var=ON may or may not exist, this is the default state.
>    we just need to go yellow if var=OFF

No problem.

> Sounds like a custom test is what I need.

Nah, then you gotta deploy and manage the custom test on each of your
client hosts, and be sure to install it on any new hosts that come along.
 I hate that.

In client-local.cfg, add the following:
[name-of-client]
    file:`grep -i "^var=OFF$" /path/to/file >/tmp/varcheck; echo
/tmp/varcheck`

Then, in analysis.cfg, add the following:
HOST=name-of-client
    FILE /tmp/varcheck YELLOW SIZE>0

Won't that do what you need?