[Xymon] Question on df processing for xymonclient-linux.sh

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Sep 4 08:29:33 CEST 2012

On 04-09-2012 05:02, Thomas Leavitt wrote:

> Unfortunately, this has the side effect of causing DF to go from this:

> /dev/sda1              95G  2.7G   87G   3% /
> tmpfs                 2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /lib/init/rw
> udev                  2.0G  100K  2.0G   1% /dev
> tmpfs                 2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev/shm
>
> to this:

> tmpfs                 1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /lib/init/rw
> udev                  1.9G  100K  1.9G   1% /dev
> tmpfs                 1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev/shm
> rootfs                 15G  2.7G   12G  19% / <--------
>
> which, if you look at the code, has the obvious undesirable side effect
> of causing rootfs to be seen as a "nodev" filesystem, and Xymon to think
> there are no filesystems to parse.
>
> The obvious hack is to simply manually tell it to not exclude rootfs. I
> do think, however, that there are more graceful and less breakage prone
> ways to achieve the same end (only parsing filesystems we care about).

The problem with this approach is that "filesystems we care about"
changes regularly, whenever some clever kernel hacker comes up with a
new filesystem.

So the obvious hack for this is attached. Note that simply not excluding
"rootfs" won't work, since "rootfs" is not seen by Xymon as a device
name which breaks the graph handling code ... So this patch has the
added bonus of actually providing you with the correct devicename for
your root filesystem.