[Xymon] Sending client data without client installed

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Oct 30 23:03:34 CET 2012

On 30-10-2012 21:22, Raymond Lee wrote:
> I have a Cisco ACS appliance that runs a CentOS-based OS.  I cannot
> install the Xymon client on it, but I can ssh to it from our Xymon
> server and run "show tech-support" to get the output of a long list of
> commands that include df -k, ps -aux, netstat -an, etc., and save the
> output to a file.
> [...] can I
> just send them to the Xymon server and have it magically know what to do
> with them to populate the disk, procs, and ports columns?

If you modify the data you have to that the command outputs have the
headers that Xymon expects - the "[df]", "[ps]" etc section markers, see
the "client data" from one of your other servers - then there is a fair
chance that it might work.

In other words, if you can make your data look like what e.g. a Linux
client would send, then it should work with Xymon.

The way to send the data off to Xymon would then be

    xymon 10.0.0.1 "@" < datafile

and your datafile would have to begin with a line

    client myhostname.linux cisco_acs

The "linux" part means that it will be interpreted by the Linux client
handler; "cisco_acs" defines the configuration "class" that you can
optionally use in the analysis.cfg to write common rules for all of your
ACS systems.

The worst that can happen is that you won't see any statuses on your
Xymon webpage; then we'll have to dig into the xymond/client/linux.c
code to see how it is interpreted.