[Xymon] xymon-mailack

Novosielski, Ryan novosirj at umdnj.edu
Tue Oct 2 21:04:25 CEST 2012

Is there any particular reason to use procmail at all, especially if
you don't use this e-mail address to receive any other type of mail? I
just use .forward.

<mailto:DC6ADFA346BED747BCA550CE3CAD9A5A12ACE3C867 at domain.domain.com>>

> [...]
>

> [root at xxxcacti2 ~]# telnet XXXXXXXX.xxx.com
> <http://XXXXXXXX.xxx.com> 25
>
> Trying 10.1.72.168...
>
> Connected to XXXXXXXXX.xxx.com <http://XXXXXXXXX.xxx.com>
> (xx.xx.x.x).
>
> Escape character is '^]'.
>
> 220 XXXXXXXXX.lvh.com <http://XXXXXXXXX.lvh.com> ESMTP Postfix
>
> helo XXXXXXXXXX.lvh.com <http://XXXXXXXXXX.lvh.com>
>
> 250 XXXXXXX.lvh.com <http://XXXXXXX.lvh.com>
>
> MAIL FROM: raymond.reuter at xxx.com <mailto:raymond.reuter at xxx.com>
>
> 250 2.1.0 Ok
>
> RCPT TO: xymon at xxxxxxx.xxx.com <mailto:xymon at xxxxxxx.xxx.com>
>
> 250 2.1.5 Ok
>
> "SUBJECT: Xymon"
>
> 221 2.7.0 Error: I can break rules, too. Goodbye.
>
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>

> I have the .procmailrc file set up as per the xymon man page, still
> not sure if the "Mailbox" is a directory or file. and the
> directory structure of the xymon home directory looks like this.
>

> drwxr-xr-x.  2 xymon xymon  4096 Oct  2 11:02 Mailbox
>
> -rw-r--r--.  1 xymon xymon     0 Oct  1 12:15 procmail.log
>
> -rwxr-xr-x.  1 xymon xymon   124 Oct  2 11:04 .procmailrc
>

> This feature is one of the most important to the company I work for
> and have been trying to get it to work for a couple of days now. We
> even added an MX record for the server so mail can be delivered to
> it directly. Telnet works locally and remote.
>

> Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, you have all been
> a huge help so far and this monitoring tool has done wonders for
> this company.
>

> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:58 AM, Jeremy Laidman
> <jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au <mailto:jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au>>
> wrote:
>
> On 2 October 2012 02:46, Ray Reuter <ray.reuter at gmail.com
> <mailto:ray.reuter at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I am using Centos 6.2
>

> By default Centos (aka Red Hat) v6 boxes run postfix (rather than
> Sendmail).
>

> During my install I do not remember installing anything as the
> mail transport, but the alerting was working right out of the box
> from day one.
>

> Initially, postfix is configured so it won't accept SMTP
> connections from off the box.  So outbound emails will get sent OK,
> but incoming emails will not get delivered to the Xymon server.
>

> Test this by attempting to telnet to the Xymon server on port 25
> from another device, such as a Windows PC, with "telnet
> xymon.server.name <http://xymon.server.name> 25".  If you get a
> "connection refused" or similar message, than you need to
> reconfigure Postfix to accept remote connections.
>

> I followed the man page for the mailack and created everything as
> per the instructions, but I am not even sure the mail is reaching
> the server at this point.
>

> Probably not.  Have a look at the "STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README"
> file that came with Postfix for instructions on setting things up,
> particularly the "Postfix on a local network" section.

- --
|Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  | |Ryan Novosielski - Sr. Systems Programmer
\__/ Univ. of Med. and Dent.|IST/EI-Academic Svcs. - ADMC 450, Newark