[Xymon] Creating graphs on the fly?

Paul J R me at pjr.cc
Sun Nov 25 23:38:04 CET 2012

Hi All,

Im trying to create a graph on the fly from a custom script. Currently
im monitoring a piece of software via an external script, and depending
on whats happening with the software the script creates or deletes
column's within xymon (i.e. what gets monitored by xymon changes over
time). That all works fine, but im now trying to add/remove a graph each
time a column is added/removed and i've found two ways of doing this so
far (automated from the script):

1) change the test2rrd/graphs in xymonserver.cfg and add an entry in
graphs.cfg then send my data via the "trends" data channel.
2) same as above but add an ncv variable to xymonserver.cfg and send
data via the data channel for the column, kills off the xymon_rrd processes.

In both cases my ext script modifies xymonserver.cfg and graphs.cfg on
the fly and im curious to know if theres a better way of doing this?