[Xymon] Unable to adjust graphs shown on trends page - for only one graph

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Nov 22 02:57:21 CET 2012

Hiya guys

I have one graph where I can select multiple entries to show in trends.
 The other one doesn't work the same way, and I can't work out why.

Background: I have a couple of sets of BIND DNS data that I collect into
RRD files.  One is "bind.rrd" which holds counters for the different DNS
record types (A, MX, SOA, etc) being queried.  The other is
"bindstats,*.rrd" which is a set of other types of counters provided by
BIND, each in a separate file
(eg bindstats,RSqrysuccess.rrd, bindstats,RSrcode.servfail.rrd).

In the GRAPHS definition I have both "bindstats" and "bind" listed, so both
RRD files should display on the trends page.  And they do - kind-of.

In the hosts.cfg file I have the following:

... TRENDS:*,bindstats:bindstats|bindstats1,bind:bind|bind-extended

So, from what I have read, this means that whenever "bindstats" is
required, both "bindstats" and the variant "bindstats1" should also be
displayed.  This is what happens, and I get both graphs showing.

However, for the "bind" graph, I don't get the "bind-extended" version, and
only see the one "bind" graph.  I graphs.cfg definitions for the "bind",
"bind-extended", "bindstats" and "bindstats1", and if I bring up the graphs
via URL manipulation, they all display correctly.  The only problem is that
"bind-extended" is not displayed on the trends page.

I'm not really seeing any significant difference between the two sets of
data and their graphs, so I can't explain why it works for one and not the
other.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
Jeremy