[Xymon] no vmstat data for 8 hours on weekdays?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Nov 16 00:16:33 CET 2012

On 16 November 2012 02:48, Mike Burger <Mike.Burger at freedommortgage.com>wrote:

> That did it. I’m not sure if MAXMSG_STATUS or MAXMSG_DATA is the culprit,
> though I suspect it’s _DATA.

Nice one.  Pretty sure it would be MAXMSG_CLIENT, which relates to the
client messages.  I have this set to 2048 on my server because I have some
particularly fast-moving log files I want to monitor on a couple of my
servers.

Rather than increasing the limit, you might want to find out why the client
message is so large and try to reduce the size if you can.  Perhaps the
server is logging heeeeaps of messages into a logfile that's being
monitored. Have a browse through the client data and see if there's one
section that's really big and can probably be adjusted or eliminated.

$ xymoncmd xymon localhost 'clientlog name-of-client' | less

If it's log data, and you don't actually report on log messages, you might
consider removing the "log:" entry from client-local.cfg on the Xymon
server - either from the [aix] section, or (if it exist) from the
[name-of-host] section.

Or you can have the client put a cap on the size of log data being sent
back in its client message by adjusting the "log:" entry in the file
client-local.cfg on the server.  This limit is fetched by the client from
the server after it reports its client data.  So an adjustment on the
server can take up to 10 minutes to be honoured by the client.  The default
for AIX syslog.log is 10k, so it's unlikely that this alone could push your
client messages beyond 512k.