[Xymon] Most number of hosts

greg.shea at emc.com greg.shea at emc.com
Tue May 22 20:11:55 CEST 2012

Hi Michael,

At one point, I had 6115 hosts running from 1 physical Xymon server.  Some tests, specifically WebLogic, I run from a
separate VM so if the java process hangs, it doesn't affect the main Xymon server.
Physical HW
Dell PE 2950
  2 Xeon 5110 CPUs
  8GB RAM
  2  146GB, 10K RPM SAS (RAID1 root disk)
  2  146GB. 15K RPM SAS (apps & data)
  Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 7)
  Xymon 4.3.4

That's all changing now because of the push to virtualize everything, so I used the opportunity to build in some redundancy.
Currently we have 2750 hosts running in this environment and will be migrating the rest of the old server over before EOY.
Primary and standby VMs
  2 Virtual Xeon E7549 CPUs
  8GB RAM
  120GB root disk and 200GB apps disk
  Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)
  Xymon 4.3.7

Primary and standby external test VMs (WebLogic, custom tests)
  (same as above)