[Xymon] Client data?

cleaver at terabithia.org cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Mar 7 22:43:46 CET 2012

On Wed, March 7, 2012 12:36 pm, John Horne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using Xymon 4.3.7 I see that most (possibly all) of the services being
> monitored for a host contain a link in the web page saying 'Client data
> available'.
>
> By clicking on the link I can see that it shows some info about the
> host, but my question is why? What is this link for?
>
> As far as I can tell there is no way to disable the link from appearing.
> Is that correct? It may be that we would prefer not having the link
> present, so preventing users from seeing info about the host itself.

The client data is present to allow you to see full "raw" details for a
host which may aid in diagnosis. It really shines when the [hostdata] task
is enabled (by default), in that it saves a copy of the complete client
data report every time a status report changes. Need to see what process
was running when disk use rose above 95%? You can.

I don't think there's a specific way to prevent the client report link
from being visible, short of patching.

There's little visible in the raw client report that's not also percolated
up in the form of cpu/procs/disk/trends or other statuses (eg, in
protecting process lists), which might be why there hasn't been much
demand for blocking or hiding that link -- someone who can see the link
already has lots of info.

HTH,
-jc