[Xymon] OverSize status message and network tests

Joseph Acquisto joea at j4computers.com
Tue Jul 31 17:47:41 CEST 2012

Recently moved to xymon 4.3.7 from hobbit 4.2

All seems reasonable except for two things.

- Due to firewall issues, some net tests do not work.  The firewall lets the "old" IP thru, but not the new servers IP.   Go an answer to this some weeks back, which stated change  ~server/etc/tasks.cfg to specify --source-ip=old.ip.  This I took to go in  [xymonnet] as an add on to the CMD line.
  retired old box and added IP to new box, as secondary IP, edited the file and restarted xymon server.   No go.  I can ping the destination successfully by telling ping to  use the added IP as its source IP.

 I can see tcpdump tell me the source is still the original for the new server.   ??  Th

- While looking for clues, stumbled upon a oversize status message in  xymond.log.  It is oversize (!), but is being sent in the form (echo "status . . blah"; cat mymessage_file | blah formatting stuff | /home/xymon/client/bin/xymon my_server_name "@"  --  Which someone on this list (Henrik ?) turned me on to a year or so ago.  Anyway . . .

Some assistance?