[Xymon] Conn test fails after server reboot - solved

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Fri Jul 13 18:33:13 CEST 2012

On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 10:35 +0100, John Horne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using Xymon 4.3.7 I have noticed that if I reboot the Xymon server then
> the 'conn' test fails for all the clients. E.g.:
>
> ============================
> Thu Jul 12 10:24:11 2012 conn NOT ok
> Service conn on dns1 is not OK : Host does not respond to ping
>

> System unreachable for 5 poll periods (984 seconds)
> ============================
>
> If, from the server, I run 'ping' to the client then that works fine. So
> does fping. If I stop then start the Xymon service on the server then
> the client conn tests all report ok.

Hello,

Sorry, but this turned out to be an SELinux problem. 'fping' is denied
write access to files in the ~/server/tmp directory on the Xymon server.
However, fping records its results in that directory, and Xymon looks at
them to see if a client is alive or not. Since there were no results,
because of SELinux, Xymon figured that all the clients were down.

I have created a local SELinux policy to allow writes for fping and that
seems to work. (I have rebooted the Xymon server and it didn't show any
red ping/conn tests.)

The clients don't use 'fping' so they don't have this problem.

Why did restarting the Xymon service (not the server) allow the tests to
turn green? Not sure.

Thanks for all the replies.

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK      Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001