[Xymon] Is there a way to do trend analysis or prediction or anomaly detection with Xymon?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Tue Jan 31 07:30:25 CET 2012

I've been planning to do this type of thing for a while.  I've set this up
under MRTG a few years ago, without really knowing what parameters to use
for the additional consolidation functions, and to my surprise it worked
quite well.

But once the functions are defined in each RRD file, you just need to
adjust your graphs to show them, and presumably you can threshold them by
defining a "DS" setting in analysis.cfg.

Perhaps it's time I re-visited this, and we put together a how-to.  I think
the first thing to do would be to look into updating rrddefinitions.cfg for
each graph you want to adjust, and either delete the RRD files or
export-import somehow to create the CFs.

BTW, useful search keyword is "Holt-Winters".  It's known as "aberrant
behaviour detection".  It makes assumptions about the cyclic behaviour of
data, and calculates the average and standard deviation for different times
of day and days of the week.  A a data point can be compared to the average
+/- some number of deviations, and alerted when outside the range.