[Xymon] [XYMON] New sever with Solaris or Linux

Elizabeth Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 20:51:54 CET 2012

What else is in use at your site? Are you for-profit? How important is cost
vs support availability?  What hardware do you have?

I'm a huge believer in keeping the number of operating systems low. You can
leverage local expertise and local config management systems and
repositories.

This isn't the place to talk about what Oracle's done to Solaris so I'll
just say there doesn't seem to be any technical reason to want to run
Solaris for xymon. Most FOSS is developed under Linux these days which
means that most tools install more seamlessly on Linux. I'd consider using
Solaris for a Xymon server only if you've got a primarily-Solaris shop to
begin with.