[Xymon] Where to find the latest hostdata (or: How to monitor one process on two servers)?

Ward, Martin Martin.Ward at colt.net
Thu Jan 12 17:05:36 CET 2012

Hi all,

I have a pair of servers that run Veritas Cluster Software and they have a number of different processes that they run in turn. Simply put it means that there is a process that will be running on one or another of the two servers and at any given time I will not know which server it runs on. The important thing for me is that it is running, so I set about creating a monitor that will check for this.

I can't have something that runs on the client since I won't know which client the process runs on but it struck me that the server always has an up to date process list, so I could simply read the hostdata file for the two servers, rip out the process list, concatenate the two and search for the specific process name, simple!

This is a brilliant idea that would work if only I had access to the up to date client data. It seems that the data stored in the hostdata directory only changes when a status for that server changes to an alert state (according to the xymond_hostdata web page) so if the process switches to a different machine but nothing actually changes the alert status of the client, the latest host data is not stored in the hostdata/ subdirectory.

I know that the latest host data is stored somewhere because I can see it in the web browser. Does anyone know where this up to date host data is kept such that I can utilise the information in it?

Failing that do you have any other suggestions, recommendations or scripts lying around that will enable me to look for a process across more than one server?

|\/|

[Colt Disclaimer]
The message is intended for the named addressee only and may not be disclosed
to or used by anyone else, nor may it be copied in any way. The contents of
this message and its attachments are confidential and may also be subject to
legal privilege. If you are not the named addressee and/or have received this
message in error, please advise us by e-mailing abuse at colt.net and delete the
message and any attachments without retaining any copies. Internet
communications are not secure and Colt does not accept responsibility for this
message, its contents nor responsibility for any viruses. No contracts can be
created or varied on behalf of Colt Technology Services, its subsidiaries,
group companies or affiliates ("Colt") and any other party by email
communications unless expressly agreed in writing with such other party.
Please note that incoming emails will be automatically scanned to eliminate
potential viruses and unsolicited promotional emails. For more information
refer to www.colt.net or contact us on +44(0)20 7390 3900