[Xymon] File Monitoring

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Jan 11 00:07:41 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 7:50 AM, Steve Holmes <sholmes42 at mac.com> wrote:

> Ok see, this is real similar to the problem I'm having, except I can't get
> it to work (Xymon 4.2.3).
>
> My debian hosts are sending the following:
>
> client xxxx.xxxxx.org.linux linux

The bit after the hostname is used to define the OS type.  This is
obtained, at the client, from the lower-cased output of "uname -s", but can
be overridden by defining in xymonclient.cfg by setting SERVEROSTYPE.  See
the man page for xymonclient.cfg for info.  If you add
"SERVEROSTYPE=debian" into xymonclient.cfg (and restart xymon), then you
should get your client data showing this:

client xxxx.xxxxx.org.debian linux

I haven't tried this, but it might do what you want.

> Our [debian] servers keep some files in a different location than our
> other Linux servers (Redhat) so the Debian servers get "File is missing"
> errors and I have to disable the test to prevent the warning from showing
> up.

I have a global [linux] section, and per-host definitions where they
deviate.  It's a bit of a hassle replicating the same definitions for a
bunch of identical hosts, but I only have to set it up once per host.