[Xymon] Setting up a Xymon proxy server

Ward, Martin Martin.Ward at colt.net
Wed Jan 4 18:54:57 CET 2012

Hi all,

I am unable to find any documentation on the configuration of the hosts files when using xymonproxy, can you help?

I have a number of clients client that have the Xymon proxy server configured as their Xymon server in the xymonclient.cfg file:
XYMSRV="10.5.1.205"

So they will send their status messages to the proxy server.

The proxy server only has the [xymond], [xymondproxy], [xymonclient] and [combostatus] sections configured (do I need xymonnet and xymonnetagain?), this seems sensible to me.

The proxy server also has the clients configured in its hosts.cfg file since it needs to know who to poll for.

The question is, how do I then configure these clients in the main Xymon server? Do I have them in the hosts.cfg file there as well? If so how do I stop the main Xymon server from pinging them?
Also, given that these clients are in a group, how do I get them displayed as a group in the Xymon web pages?

I have gone through the xymonproxy and hosts.cfg man pages but to no avail, so am turning to you all.

|\/|artin

[Colt Disclaimer]
The message is intended for the named addressee only and may not be disclosed
to or used by anyone else, nor may it be copied in any way. The contents of
this message and its attachments are confidential and may also be subject to
legal privilege. If you are not the named addressee and/or have received this
message in error, please advise us by e-mailing abuse at colt.net and delete the
message and any attachments without retaining any copies. Internet
communications are not secure and Colt does not accept responsibility for this
message, its contents nor responsibility for any viruses. No contracts can be
created or varied on behalf of Colt Technology Services, its subsidiaries,
group companies or affiliates ("Colt") and any other party by email
communications unless expressly agreed in writing with such other party.
Please note that incoming emails will be automatically scanned to eliminate
potential viruses and unsolicited promotional emails. For more information
refer to www.colt.net or contact us on +44(0)20 7390 3900